- Approx Cost:
- Field trips or a Marae visit $10 (subject to availability). Student workbook $16.00.
- Technology Requirements:
- A laptop is of benefit for this course
- Course Outline:
E ngā manu pīpī nei o te-wao-tapu-nui-a-Tāne, tēnā koutou.
This is a practical full-year course, during which students will develop an understanding of Tikanga Māori (cultural practices) through learning the Māori Language. As this course is run in conjunction with the Year 9 Māori Studies course, the primary focus will be the practical development across the four skills- reading, writing, listening and speaking.
Topics to be covered include:
- He mihi - Introductions and greetings.
- Ngā Atua - The Gods
- Tōku kura - My school and its surroundings.
- Ngā tikanga Māori - Cultural practices.
- Ngā waiata - Songs.
- Ki-o-rahi - Māori ball sports.
This will include regular testing of the four language skills throughout the course in the form of weekly word tests, creative projects and in-class assessments.
- Where Does It Lead:
This course provides a practical and fun introduction to learning the Māori Language while maintaining a pathway into Year 10 and NCEA Te Reo Māori.
- For further information see:
- Matua Tihirangi.