- Approx Cost:
- Field trips or a Marae visit $10 (subject to availability). Education Perfect Subscription $25.00
- Technology Requirements:
- A laptop is of benefit for this course
- Course Outline:
E ngā manu pīpī nei o te-wao-tapu-nui-a-Tāne, tēnā koutou.
This is a practical one semester course, during which students will develop an understanding of Tikanga Māori (cultural practices) through learning the Māori Language. As this course is run in conjunction with the Year 9 Māori Studies course, the primary focus will be the practical development across the four skills- reading, writing, listening and speaking.
Topics to be covered include:
- He mihi - Introductions and greetings.
- Ngā Atua - The Gods
- Tōku kura - My school and its surroundings.
- Ngā tikanga Māori - Cultural practices.
- Ngā waiata - Songs.
- Ki-o-rahi - Māori ball sports.
This will include regular testing of the four language skills throughout the course in the form of weekly word tests, creative projects and in-class assessments.
- Where Does It Lead:
This course provides a practical and fun introduction to learning the Māori Language while maintaining a pathway into Year 10 and NCEA Te Reo Māori.
- For further information see:
- Matua Tihirangi.