- Approx Cost:
- Field trip/s $50.00 (max). $10.00 for printing of media resources.
- Technology Requirements:
- A laptop is essential for this course
- Entry Recommendations:
Students are expected to have:
- Level 1 Literacy (in Achievement Standards)
- discuss their suitability with the TIC Social Studies
- Course Outline:
Students will develop an understanding of the cultural beliefs that shape our world. They will be able to shape their own learning by choosing their areas of interest for research and social action assignments.
- Moving people - why are there more refugees now than ever before? What is life like for them?
- Culture clash – why do cultures clash with each other? What are the effects of this conflict? What could be done to resolve it? With case studies including race relations in the US, gypsy communities in the UK and conflict in Rwanda.
- Religion – looking at the world’s main religions, as well as studying the lifestyle of religious groups in New Zealand and overseas.
- Taking action – supporting people in our and other communities. What are their challenges and how can we help? Involves an optional media studies standard.
Social Studies Achievement Standards are offered, 3 internal and 1 external assessment plus an optional additional external standard.
- Where Does It Lead:
Year 13 Senior Social Studies, Media Studies, History, Geography or Classics. Courses and careers in areas that deal with the needs of people and society such as careers in health sciences, education, social services, armed services, government agencies, media industry, business and international relations. Also great preparation for volunteering.
- For further information see:
- Mrs Meadowcroft