- Approx Cost:
- An optional overnight trip if students make it to round two of the brainbee competition.
- Technology Requirements:
- A laptop is essential for this course
- Entry Recommendations:
Students should have enjoyed Year 10 Science and have strong interest in science & biology. Students intending to take Year 12 science will need to include 2 additional science courses in their learning program.
- Course Outline:
Explore the science of the brain! This course will involve:
- Learning about brain development and key areas of the nervous system.
- Discovering how the brain controls our senses, perceptions and memory.
- Investigating brain disorders and the effects of sleep and aging on the brain.
- As part of the course students will apply their learning by competing in round 1 of the worldwide neuroscience competition 'Brain bee'. Selected members of the class will also have the opportunity to travel to Dunedin for further stages of the competition.
Please note this is a non-NCEA course that does not offer credits. It is intended as a supplementary course for those wanting to further their scientific learning in the area of neuroscience.
- Where Does It Lead:
Together with other science courses, 11SCB will help build a strong foundation of biological understanding and could lead to studying senior Biology at Lincoln High School. Relevant careers could include; Biological science, Medicine, Research and Development, Pharmacology, Neuroscience, Psychology. Students who are looking at careers in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) fields are recommended to consider taking more than two semesters of science such as 11BIO, 11SCP, 11AHS, 11SCB, 11AMS or 11FSC. For NCEA Level 2 Speciality Sciences, a total of 8 Science credits are required with 4 credits of those being at least Merit level in the specialty subject area.
- For further information see:
- Miss Milne