- Approx Cost:
- Workbook approx $20.00
- Technology Requirements:
- A laptop is essential for this course
- Entry Requirements:
This subject is open entry. Students who have enjoyed chemistry topics in junior science and/or are planning to do chemistry in year 12 are strongly advised to take this subject.
- Course Outline:
Acid and bases chemistry which will include
- Atomic structure
- Ion formation, ionic compounds
- Properties of acids and bases
- Rates of reaction and particle theory.
- Uses of acids in real life eg neutralisation, carbon dioxide formation,salt formation.
Practical chemistry investigation (one internal assessment)
Students will learn the skills to carry out a practical chemistry investigation based around their previous learning in reaction rates
This will include
- developing a valid method to collect reliable data
- processing and representing the data in an appropriate way (graph, table, calculation etc)
- writing a conclusion based on the processed data.
- justifing the choices made to increase accuracy during the investigation
- justifing the conclusion in terms of the processed data
- relating investigation findings to applicable chemistry ideas.
- Where Does It Lead:
This course would fit well alongside any other year 11 science. This could lead to completing study in senior Chemistry at Lincoln High School. Relevant careers could include Science, Engineering, Health care, Forensics, Environmental Science, Pharmacology, Food technology. Students who are looking at careers in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) fields are recommended to consider taking more than two semesters of science such as 11BIO, 11SCP, 11ESS, 11AHS, 11SCB, 11AMS or 11FSC. For NCEA Level 2 Speciality Sciences, a total of 8 Science credits are required with 4 credits of those being at least Merit level in the specialty subject area.
- For further information see:
- Ms Hooper/Mr Grieve