- Approx Cost:
- $120.00 for an optional field trip to Akaroa
- Technology Requirements:
- A laptop is essential for this course
- Entry Recommendations:
Students should have enjoyed Year 10 Science and have strong interest in Ecology and Conservation. Students intending to take Year 12 Biology will need to include an additional science course in their learning program.
- Course Outline:
Students will explore biological ideas that will allow them to:
- Understand the marine environment and how unique organisms in New Zealand interact with each other.
- Understand the freshwater environment and how unique organisms in New Zealand interact each other.
- Investigate the impacts of whaling on the New Zealand marine environment.
- Investigate past, present and future conservation efforts in New Zealand to manage our marine and freshwater environments.
- Complete a personal action on the conservation of a freshwater or marine environment.
- Where Does It Lead:
This course would fit well alongside any other year 11 science. This could lead to completing study in senior Biology at Lincoln High School. Relevant careers could include Biology, Health Science, Research and Development, Nutrition, Microbiology, Disease Management, Food Science. Students who are looking at careers in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) fields are recommended to consider taking more than two semesters of science such as 11BIO, 11SCP, 11AHS, 11SCB, 11AMS or 11FSC. For NCEA Level 2 Specialty Sciences, a total of 8 Science credits are recommended with 4 credits of those being at least Merit level in the specialty subject area.
- For further information see:
- Mr Tolhoek